What is the challenge?
- Motorcycles account for 95% of registered vehicles in Vietnam, and their users account for 75% of Vietnam’s road crash fatalities. Of these, nearly 78% are a result of head injury.
- Road crashes cause approximately 22,419 fatalities and more than 453,617 injuries on Vietnam’s roads each year.
- 2,000 children die from road crashes each year in Vietnam.
- When helmet legislation came into effect in 2007, adult helmet use rates skyrocketed from less than 10% to more than 90%. Due to a loophole in the law, child helmet use rates quickly dropped and remained around 38% in Vietnam’s major cities.
- For those who do wear helmets, quality is still a major concern. According to the World Health Organization, more than 80% of helmets on Vietnam’s roads are of substandard quality.
- See the WHO Country Profile for more information.
What are we doing?
AIP Foundation leverages its long-time strategic partnerships in Vietnam to promote pedestrian safety, child helmet use, and safe driving behavior with the ultimate goal of preventing road crash injuries and fatalities. Today, our key activities include:
- Continuing our strong record of helmet donations and traffic safety education at schools and in communities.
- Combining mass media communications with enhanced enforcement to create a society of safer road users.
- Providing technical assistance to Vietnamese helmet manufacturers and testing laboratories to assist in the elimination of substandard helmets from the nation’s roads.
- Training journalists and policymakers on child helmet legislation and use in Vietnam to create a community of influential, informed partners.
- Manufacturing affordable, high-quality helmets for distribution in the national and global markets.
- Partnering with key stakeholders to advocate for policy changes that improve road safety standards nationwide.
What do we hope to achieve?
To increase child helmet use in target areas of Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi, and Danang to 80% by the end of 2017.
Find out more:
- 21-02-2017 New data reveals increase in students’ safe road user behaviors after two years of pedestrian safety program
- 15-01-2017 Parents from agricultural district educated on helmet safety
- 05-01-2017 Road safety program provides low-income and agricultural families with 5,600 helmets
- 23-12-2016 AIP Foundation hosts road safety trainings at international university
- 15-12-2016 APM Terminals partners with AIP Foundation to promote road safety in Vietnam
- 13-12-2016 Government official shares story about her son’s road crash during Helmets for Families orientation workshop
Stay informed! Sign up for AIP Foundation’s free e-mail newsletter to keep up with our latest news.Sign up for newsletter