What is the challenge?
- With 36.2 fatalities per 100,000 people, Thailand ranks second worldwide in road traffic deaths per capita.
- Motorcyclists account for more than 73 percent of road traffic victims in Thailand.
- Even though Thai law has mandated helmet use for motorcycle drivers and passengers since 1996, less than half of motorcyclists nationwide wear helmets.
- Children are especially vulnerable. Helmet use among children up to 15 years old only reached eight percent nationwide in 2012.
- See the WHO Country Profile for more information.
What are we doing?
AIP Foundation expanded operations into Thailand in 2006 and later launched the Thailand Helmet Vaccine Initiative (THVI) in partnership with the Thai Ministry of Interior’s Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM) to combat the dire situation on Thailand’s roads. Our key activities include:
- Training children, teachers, and parents in target communities on the importance of helmets and traffic safety through school-based helmet donation programs.
- Supporting the government’s campaign toward 100 percent helmet wearing, as a member of the National Road Safety Directing Center sub-committee.
- Developing a model community for road safety in Ayutthaya province.
- The 7% Project is a three-year initiative focusing on behavior influence strategies, education, and enforcement to increase helmet use and helmet-wearing awareness among children, ultimately decreasing the number of road traffic injuries and fatalities across Thailand.
What do we hope to achieve?
To increase helmet wearing at target schools and to foster a culture of road safety among families and communities.
Find out more:
- 29-03-2017 More than 300 teachers, parents trained in road safety curriculum in southern Thailand
- 14-03-2017 Road safety advocacy program kicks-off its third year in Thailand
- 01-03-2017 Extracurricular activities engage more than 200 community members about helmet use
- 28-02-2017 Road safety experts discuss new research on the causes of crashes at seminar hosted by Thai police
- 20-02-2017 Street Wise team conducts baseline observations at five new program schools
- 08-02-2017 Engineering professor crafts data collection tools for upcoming Street Wise Phase 2 baseline research
Stay informed! Sign up for AIP Foundation’s free e-mail newsletter to keep up with our latest news.Sign up for newsletter